Sunday, July 20, 2014

"The Most Unique Sound of Music tour"

Salzburg, Austria
20th July, 2014

In my mind, it goes like this.  As we board the bus we’re handed lyric sheets and, pulling out to the first destination, we’re already belting out “My Favorite Things”.  One of our first stops is at the fountain, where, those of us who want, are given old fashioned suitcases and empty guitar cases so we can prance around singing “I have confidence”.  In St. Peter’s Graveyard, the inspiration for the scene at the end of the movie where the Von Trapp family hides from the Nazis, only the fact that it’s a graveyard keeps us from playing hide and seek.  In the Mirabell gardens we draw straws for the parts of the children, and then reenact the Do-re-mi scene on the stairs.  And then, finally, the crowning moment: we pull up to the gazebo.  There, a costumed actor, dressed as Rolfe, is waiting for me.  We dance around the gazebo, singing the duet “I am 16 going on 17”.  That’s not too much to ask for, is it? 

Unfortunately, perhaps, it seems my expectations were a bit too high.  No costumes, no suitcases, not even a lyric sheet.  The biggest disappointment of all though, is not only is there no Rolfe to dance with, I can’t even dance around the pavilion alone.  The interior is off limits to the public.


I made the most of our “Most Unique Sound of Music Tour” despite the disappointments.  Outside of Salzburg, the scenery in the Austrian mountains was breathtaking.  An ice cream cone in the town of Mondsee (where Maria and the Baron get married in the movie) was a perfect end to the trip.  And even if I didn’t get to dance around the pavilion, here are Alex and I in front of it. 

1 comment:

Elizabeth Long said...

As a student in 1974, I took a cheap Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, and was dismayed that our guide seemed determined to destroy the beauty of the movie by contrasting the truth with the movie's story: the mountain shot in the beginning of "The Hills are Alive" was a composite; the Austrians considered Capt. Von Trapp a traitor; and other corrections, in addition to the things you mentioned. Still, the truth only highlighted the Von Trapps' courage, and Salzburg was a charming, delightful city, and the Alps and countryside were glorious. I, too, am so glad I got to experience the setting of that wonderful movie, and enjoy the sights and sounds of Salzburg. I happened to be there during the time of a music festival, and got to attend a piano concert in a palace--during a thunderstorm! I will never forget the beautiful music as lightning flashed outside and was reflected in the large mirrors on the walls of the candlelit room. So glad you are able to travel, Annie! Enjoy!